Let’s face it, you rarely think about having to call a locksmith. But, why or when should you call a locksmith versus trying to do it yourself? We share the most common reasons to call a locksmith below.
- Lost Keys – Losing your keys can strip you of your sense of security whether at home or at work. A locksmith can simply re-key the lock without having to replace it entirely.
- Lock Malfunctions – Any lock no matter how old or new it is can malfunction, when they do a locksmith can repair or replace the lock. If you are experiencing keys that stick or locks that won’t turn, chat with our locksmiths before calling to see if we can troubleshoot before you schedule service.
- Broken Keys – Now, if you have forced that non-turning lock a little too hard, you can break your key off in the lock. This is a common service call and a locksmith will need to come out and remove the broken piece and duplicate a new key for you.
- Moving Into a New Home or Business – Renting or buying a new home is one of the main reasons to call a locksmith. Texas requires homeowners and landlords to re-key a lock each time a tenant moves out. On the other hand, realtors are not required to do this, so it is important for you to have a locksmith come out and re-key your locks before you move in.
- Old Locks – Vintage locks can give your home a nice look and character, however most times they are impractical for security. We recommend having a locksmith come out and assess the locks and make sure they are performing their duties to secure your home.
- Locked Yourself Out of Car, Home or Office – Anytime you are locked out of your car, call a locksmith, trying to unlock your car yourself can cause hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage. Likewise, with a home or office, tricks seen on TV or YouTube to open locks don’t always guarantee success.
- Lost Safe Combination or Malfunctioning Dial or Keypad – Very few locksmiths can open any safe, Texas Master Locksmiths and Security Solutions, Inc. has one of the few locksmiths in Dallas that can open just about any safe. Whether you have a jewelry safe, gun safe, floor safe, vault door even a GSA container. We can open them all, be cautious before you let any locksmith try to open an expensive safe.
These are just a few of the more common reasons to call a locksmith (972-510-3554) out to your home or business. With locks being more complicated and security being even more important, it is recommended to hire a trained professional. Remember, ALL locksmiths in Texas are required to be licensed and they must carry their pocket card. Don’t be afraid to ask to see the card BEFORE they perform any work. See our article on how to avoid locksmiths scams.
I didn’t realize that incorrectly unlocking your car can lead to significant damages. My wife accidentally left our keys in the car when we returned home from a long and sleepless road trip. It may be best for us to find a locksmith that can unlock our door without damaging that car.
For sure Darrien, it can be costly to fix the car door if done incorrectly.
Thank you for explaining when you would need a locksmith. My sister is moving to a new home. I think she would like to have her locks replaced the right way.
Absolutely, make sure if her state requires a license that she asks to see it. Also, any legit locksmith should give a price upfront if they won’t move on.
I think this is a good, I always bring up the same points to my clients when they ask if they think they need a locksmith. I think its best when a professional is taking care of it, because you will A be covered for everything and B because it will save you time.
Exactly Robert, you may save money initially but unfortunately there seems to be problems that a locksmith needs to come out and fix. I hope this dialog helps people determine which jobs to tackle themselves and which ones they should leave to the pros. Thanks for joining the conversation.
I value your guidance for when to contact a locksmith. We’re planning to supplant the locks on our outside entryways, so I get it’s savvy to enlist somebody. Like you stated, rekeying doesn’t generally happen when the past proprietors leave, so we believe it’s better to be as cautious as possible.
Thank you, we are glad you found value in this information.
ok let me tell you that our key had broken then we called to nearest locksmith but the cost was very high. So what should we do in that case?
You can certainly shop around to different companies. Always ask for the total before the locksmith touches anything. Any legit company should be able to quote the total before beginning. If it is too high, you have every right to ask them to leave. The moment they begin working, you are responsible for at least their service call.
Thanks for pointing out that any lock can malfunction, and when they do a locksmith can repair or replace the lock. Recently, when I lock my front door on my way out in the mornings my key has been sticking in the lock pretty bad. I should probably call a locksmith to help me figure out what’s wrong before I either break the key or the lock.
You can try spraying WD40 into the lock or we actually recommend Triflow or Houdini sprays. A lot of times this can be due to the season changing or just dirt and debris in the lock. Try one of these sprays before you call a locksmith to come out. Most of the time, this kind of issue can be resolved by lubricating the lock.
I appreciate your advice for when to hire a locksmith. We’re hoping to replace the locks on our exterior doors, so I guess it’s smart to hire someone. Like you said, rekeying doesn’t always happen when the previous owners leave, so we think it’s better safe than sorry.
Thank you for your comment, we tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to safety too.
Very well explained the need of a locksmith ! When people get stuck out of their home, office or car without having any spare keys, they should call a automotive locksmith, as they are trained on how to solve the problem and get a perfect solution without wasting time.
Absolutely, thank you for the comment. I am glad you found the information useful.